Thursday, June 5, 2008

How'd you do that??

So, yesterday I posted a blog about the 1st card I did for the contest. It turned out to be 1 of my favorites.

Watercoloring...

first, you MUST buy pencils that are especially for watercolors. I got mine (General's Kimberly Watercolor Pencils- I think 12) at Walmart. Not too pricey at all.

There are several ways to do it. First, stamp the image in whatever ink works for the card/lo. It doesn't have to be "good" ink, but needs to be totally dry before you start. Then, I typically color my image completely. The more pressure the more coverage, but a lot of it comes off with the water. I bought some inexpensive detail brushes and have a little thing I put water in. I get a bit of water on my brush (paper towels are a necessity) and start to go in a circular motion on the colored image. The penciled image starts to look more like paint. It gives a better coverage and doesn't look like pencil coloring. I like how it turns an image.

With that last card, after I had scanned it, I actually went back with a black pen (like a thin marker, not a ballpoint, hehe) and drew around the image again. Sometimes, the watercoloring dims the original image (you could always restamp if you use clear stamps).

Enjoy!
Kristin

No comments: